Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Rachel/Video Blogging Appeal/Exercise


First of all: can my niece, Rachel, who left a comment in ‘Things’ please get in touch by email. It’s gdwscott@gmail.com. Please get in touch – I’d love to hear from you. Glad you liked the song! And by the way, I'm madder than your Dad, and that's by a long chalk!

VIDEO BLOGS: The video blogs, with all their limitations, are going down very well. I’m getting a lot of positive feedback about them so I will indeed keep them going.

The quality’s the thing. I really need to get a decent camcorder to make these video blogs all they could be. That’s where I could be doing with your help. I have to convince my accountant – one Joanne Scott – that it would really be an essential purchase.

That’s where you come in. Now, I’m not about to hand out Joanne’s email address but I will say this: if you want to send Joanne a list of reasons why I should have this new toy – and it has to be convincing - leave a comment or indeed email me at gdwscott@gmail.com and I will pass on your message to the lady in question.

I don’t hold out any hopes but you never know!

RUNNING: Two friends of mine were running the Boston Marathon on Monday. I don’t know if you caught any of this online but the conditions were appalling. Something like 2400 entrants didn’t even turn up! It was wet, cold and very, very windy. People were being hauled off the course suffering from hypothermia.

Our friend Scott Cameron, from Guelph, put in an amazing time. I actually spotted him on the web cam at the finish line! Everyone else seemed to be wearing hands, rain jackets, running tights. But there was our Scott, in singlet and shorts!

This makes perfect sense if you think of it. Scott has Scottish blood in his veins and his forebears thought nothing of taking to the hillside with nothing much more than the plaid to work, live, love and sleep in.

In fact I’m sure Scott has actually run a marathon or two wearing a kilt!

All this puts my little running ambitions in context. On May 26th I’ll be running in the Tiree 10k – the second running of the event. Last year I did the course in about 1 hour 6 minutes. This year I really want to bring it home in under an hour.

Thanks to the ‘Healthy Living’ programme I am indeed running a bit faster so here’s hoping.

Maybe it was the inspiration of my friends taking part in Monday’s event but on that same day I signed up for the Baxter’s Loch Lomond 10k, which is in October. And I’m thinking about taking part in a 2-lap ‘fun race’ segment of one of Will Wright’s Scottish Cross Country Mountain Bike stages, maybe in August.

Can I do any of this? 52 in December, you know! And yet when I train and look after myself I feel so well. Better than I can remember feeling in about 30 years!

The fact that we celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary this year has nothing to do with the decline in my physical well-being. It’s just a coincidence.

But seriously, wouldn’t it be great to get back down to the weight and fitness level you had when you were married?

Back then I was a size 28 waist. I know for a fact that if I got back down to that again people would be convinced I was ill. I think that’s a bit of an unrealistic ambition anyway.

Joanne is also determined to get back into shape. Now Joanne isn’t a runner and that’s fine. So we’re going out on long walks, regularly. It’s really helping. Keeping it up is the challenge.

Oh and we’ve also started going to Will’s Gym on a Friday night.

Do I sound like a right smarty-pants? Believe me, all of this is hard work.

But 75% of the work is done in your head. I find that I can really be looking forward to going for a run or a cycle and then I’m only a little along the road when that little voice starts talking to me:

Why are you doing this? Still time to start back and put your feet up, you know!

Who are you trying to kid? Why don’t you act your age?

What was that little twinge in your side? Are you trying to give yourself a heart attack?

Truth is, sometimes I go out for some exercise and I just don’t want to do it. What drives me on is the way I know I’ll feel if I don’t do it:

Miserable. Guilty. Unfulfilled.

In other words it’s a lot less painful doing the exercise than not doing it.

And all I have to do is haul myself outside to find – surprise, surprise – the weather isn’t quite as bad as I had imagined, the wind isn’t blowing all that strong, really – and when I get back I feel like I have risen to the challenge, that I’ve overcome the obstacle and that I can be … well … reasonably pleased with myself.

If at all possible I encourage anyone reading this who would love to do some exercise but think they are ‘past it’ to go along and see their Doctor, get the ‘OK’ and get on with it.

There’s no better feeling than taking on something you felt was impossible, only to find the only limits are those that you place on yourself.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't go to Loch Lomond for the Baxter's 10k - it's at Loch Ness! ;-)

Gordon Scott said...

Pre-senile dementia, I think they call it. In my case at least!

J. Scott Cameron said...

hi gordon. thanks for the kind words re: boston marathon. it was a lot of fun this year at the 111th...interesting too re: weather. i am glad you were virtually there to cheer me over the finish line. thanks. singlet, shorts, toque and gloves were the order of the day...at least for me. i have yet to race in my kilt, but one day perhaps. i have worn it both years during boston marathon's freedom run held the day prior. this year, as in the past, the oriental marathoners from overseas in droves wanted their photo taken with me. too funny. i will go to the wbz tv website to see if i can spot myself crossing the finish line. all the best on may 26th and with the rest of your scheduled events. cheers, scott