Sunday, August 19, 2007

A High Wind in Jamaica



I was a bit gloomy yesterday. One week to go before the Coll Marathon and I was bemoaning the fact that the wind and rain was stopping me from having a good training session.

This morning the weather is much the same but the outlook is better. The rain has eased off a bit and the forecast - for what it's worth - says the wind will die down in the course of the day.

I think I've mentioned before that I listen to the radio all night long. After 25 years of marriage Joanne is quite used to this. In fact, I'm not sure you could technically call it 'radio': my laptop serves as my digital radio, taking me to almost anywhere I want to go to in the world.

Some BBC station mentioned that Jamaica is bracing itself for a full-on encounter with Hurricane Dean, later this very day. Forget Tiree's north-easterly 25 - 30 mph. This baby is heading their way at 150 miles per hour.

I went on to my search engine and found Power 106 Radio. You can listen, free, to live streaming radio. When I went on to their live broadcast it was about 6 a.m. here, about midnight with them. In between songs, callers, I heard hurricane updates, safety advice, emergency centre numbers and encouragement from the broadcasters.

Just now it's just gone 9 a.m. I'm checking out the station right. Reggae. For a musical form which is not particularly speedy I find Reggae particularly uplifting. And this is probably the reason why they seem to be playing it back to back at the moment.

The song currently playing is entitled Lord Gave Me Strength Oh Lord to Face Another Day.

I think I'll get my act together, get out on the road and stop moaning.

1 comment:

DPeach said...

Thank you for the link to the radio station. I will be getting this storm on Tuesday afternoon. It is good to get information from someone who is there.

I will be running tomorrow morning (Monday) and then my next scheduled run is Wednesday morning. Maybe it will be a cross-country run by then.